From text book to hands-on, in-your-bones, cellular learning!
February 28th – May 25th, 2011. See full schedule details below.
LIVE YOUR POTENTIAL!
Empower your life, your community’s life, and the life of the planet to live in resilience! In the Applied Permaculture & Natural Building Apprenticeship, you will learn about solutions that can radically advance human well being and the health of our planet’s ecosystems. Discover through in-depth classes, hands-on experience, interactive design projects, field trips, slideshows, and more.
You will begin with an internationally-certified Permaculture Design Course (PDC). Topics will then be integrated through in-depth, hands-on, small group design and management projects. This will take place at the Ashevillage Institute’s demonstration site, one of the country’s leading eco-urban centers for sustainable living. The one-acre site features a 30,000-gallon rainwater, aquaponic pond system and greenhouse, and over 150 species of edible and medicinal plants. During the second part of the Apprenticeship, you will work side-by-side with 10 world renown natural building teachers — preparing for, and participating in the Natural Building Extravaganza.
• Most scheduled days are 10am-6pm, with a couple of exceptions
• 2-week Permaculture Design Certification Course (PDC), February 28th-March 13th
• 3-week Natural Building Extravaganza, April 24th-May 14th
• Site visits, design, and management projects, Tuesdays & Wednesdays other than during workshops
• 1-week break, March 14th-21st
Permaculture Design Principles & Processes • Observation & Nature Awareness • Pattern Design & Biomimicry • Agroforestry & Forest Gardening • Perennial Agriculture • Organic Gardening • Soil Ecology & Soil Building • Mushrooms & Myco-Remediation • Rain Harvesting & Catchment • Grey Water & Bioremediation • Water in the Landscape • Swales, Keyline, & Pond Building • Renewable Energy and Appropriate Technology • Natural Building Design and Technique • Integrated Animal Systems • Urban Permaculture • Cooperative Economics, Money & Financial Systems • Eco-Social Design
NATURAL BUILDING PROGRAM
Outdoor kitchen • Highly efficient wood-fired baking oven • Earthen cook stove • Wood-fired hot tub • Rumford fireplace • Earthen Grotto • Adobe arches • Strawbale benches • Slipstraw knee walls • Cob niches • Wattle & Daub fence • Living courtyard • Earthen relief work • Embedded mosaic • Clay plasters & paints • Bamboo “Living” Room & Hanging Garden • Timber-framing • Wall systems • Passive solar design • International Natural Building Movement • Tours of natural building
Permaculture Team: Keri Evjy, Zev Friedman, Brian Winslett, and others
Natural Building Team: Janell Kapoor, Kevin Rowell, Eva Rose Edleson, Steveo Brodmerkel, Chad ‘Fez’ Gaetz, Meka Bunch, Ira Friedrichs, Aaron Maret, Chirstina Ott, Mike Holmes, and others. Read more about our instructors here.
$3,000, includes tuition and materials. Food and lodging are not included—see lodging options below.
Some limited work-trade positions may be available for skilled participants.
PAYMENT PLAN OPTIONS
After paying the $1,000 deposit to reserve your place, the remainder may be paid with NON-REFUNDABLE post-dated checks for up to six months. To discuss payment options, inquire within.
1) Email email@example.com with your name, phone, email, and address. Please include: a) How you found out about the Apprenticeship. b) What you hope to learn. c) What you intend to do with what you learn. d) List previous related Permaculture or building experience(s) — you do NOT need previous experience to attend! e) Please state that you have read the ‘refund policy’ below.
3) Please allow 3-5 days for us to confirm availability.
4) Once confirmed, a NON-REFUNDABLE registration deposit of $1,000 is required to reserve your seat. Send a check or money order to: ’Ashevillage Institute’, 80 Buchanan Avenue, Asheville, NC 28801. Write: ‘3-Month Apprenticeship’ in the memo line. Or pay online.
4) You will receive a packet with preparation details and directions by February 15th.
5) In order to keep your seat, final payment of $2,000 is due by February 15th—unless you’ve made other payment arrangements in advance.
Note: Registration is first-come, first-served until we reach maximum capacity.
The $1,000 deposit is NON-REFUNDABLE. The remainder of your tuition is transferable (NOT refundable), less 25%, IF you notify us before February 20th, 2011. “Transferable” means you may use it as credit toward other Ashevillage Institute programs within one year of when the original program started. After February 20th, all payments are NON-REFUNDABLE and NON-TRANSFERABLE. If, for any reason, we cancel the program, the entirety of all of your payments will be returned to you in full.
For information about lodging options, including camping and rooms at our guest house, email Lisa Shoemaker at firstname.lastname@example.org.