Ashevillage Sanctuary LLC is a women-led, community-oriented, privately-owned, 1.3 acre residential permaculture site located a few blocks to downtown Asheville, NC + backing 60 acres of woodland trails. Our site includes integrated ecological & living systems, as well as a beautiful edible, medicinal & pollinator landscape. We grow & ferment food as medicine; capture & use rainwater; manage bee, compost & mushroom systems; make herbal products; house our managers, worktraders & residents; host a variety of community events, gatherings, private retreats & healing session work.
Our purpose is to help anchor the wild & divine feminine on the planet in this time. Our values center around creating the world we want to live in by putting our beliefs into practice in our own backyard, working with regenerative systems & living skills, exploring the feminine/masculine spectrum & all manners of authentic, intimate & sensual living while contributing toward the creation of a more resilient world. Interests revolve around healing & ceremonial arts; human evolution in relationship with Gaia; authentic relating, intimacy, eros; permaculture, resilient living, food as medicine; social & ecological justice & more.
This position begins as soon as possible. This posting will be removed when the position is filled.
“We believe in creating the world we want to live in by putting our beliefs into practice in our backyard” ~ from the Sanctuary’s mission statement
[This is a part-time, live-in, unpaid, work-trade position] Ashevillage Sanctuary’s Garden Manager will be part of our core team, along with our director + Maintenance Manager + House Manager + several worktraders. The Garden Manager will develop & maintain our edible landscape & ecologically sustainable homestead systems, including organic food gardens, irrigation & ponds, apiary, compost & mushrooms. You will help with site beautification, maintenance, material organization & acquisition. From time to time, you may lead a site tour, process the harvest & make herbal products. You will work on your own, as well as with our Maintenance Manager & 1-2 garden assistants. You will be expected to work an average of 3 hours per day based on your own schedule & garden needs; ie: you can design your schedule as it suits you.
Please note: Our ideal bad ass garden mama would feel at home in a culture of progressive, black & brown friendly (BLM!), queer & trans lovin’, women-led, sex positive awesomeness. You prioritize eating organic & working with the spirits of the land vs. this being an awkward weird thing : )
“Part of the magic of the Sanctuary is all the extraordinary people who work, volunteer & pass through this community hub. What an inspiring place!” ~ M. Abrahms, advisory council
Roles & Responsibilities
- Gardens: Manage annual & perennial gardens; plan, plant, prune, harvest; make the site productive & beautiful; help process the harvest for medicine, food & more
- Ecological systems: Oversee & refine systems to ensure an efficient operation, ie: edible, medicinal, pollinator, irrigation, compost, apiary, mushroom, etc.
- Beautification: Work under our director’s aesthetic vision; upkeep gardens in a neat, tidy & aesthetically pleasing & productive fashion
- Maintenance: Help upkeep property functions; organize & care for tools; acquire & organize materials; clear clutter; take on random tasks
- Herbalism: Help make herbal products, including medicinal patés, teas, tinctures, vinegars, smoking blends, spritzers, etc
- Management: Oversee 1-2 garden helpers; handle some admin tasks; work closely with our director & team
“What do I not learn being here!? I am so enlivened & profoundly grateful for this place, the people who I connect with every single day, the spirit of the Sanctuary & the vision that’s behind all of it!” ~ Cory, residential intern 2016
- You have experience &/or strong interest in systems thinking, resilient living, deep ecology, permaculture, food as medicine, community life, personal & cultural transformation, human evolution, social justice, sex positivity, and creating a just & thriving world.
- You have a strong background in plant knowledge, propagation, planting, cultivating, seed-saving, pruning & extensive food, flower & herbal gardening experience.
- You have conceived, created & managed a homestead, farm &/or whole garden systems & have worked on the same site for at least two years, or more.
- You have very strong communication, management & organizational skills, are able to prioritize & multi-task & delegate, all while creating an uplifting work environment.
- You are very resourceful with budget management, material acquisition, and can assess effective & efficient ways to complete tasks.
- You have a refined eye for aesthetics & meticulous detail, and are comfortable working under our founder’s visual direction.
- You are flexible & comfortable working independently & as part of a team.
- You are physically fit, able to lift 50 lbs & work for hours on end.
- You own a laptop, smart phone, can use google docs, etc.
• Be part of an incredibly dynamic place that is in service to the divine feminine through service, play & love
• Enjoy a balance of sisterhood, community gatherings, personal self care time & our Lady’s Hot Tub Club
• Live in your own beautiful private earthen cottage while sharing a kitchen, office, commons & bathroom
• Enjoy a 10-minute walk to downtown Asheville with access to our bordering 60 acres of wooded trails
• Further your knowledge & experience in herbalism, gardening, management & beautification
• Gain new skills through opportunities to participate in our community events & workshops
• Engage other personal passions &/or a part-time job with 4 weeks off per year
• Balance your day-to-day in a healthy work flow environment
• Enjoy our organic garden goodies + herbal products
• Receive monthly body work sessions
• Free utilities, wifi, laundry & more
• Immerse yourself in your field of passion & put your skills to great use
• Connect with local to global networks of people doing powerful work
• Experience living at a Goddess Sanctuary & Eco-Urban Homestead
• Maintain a beautiful model site that inspires people worldwide
• Help make it happen, aka: be the glue behind the scene
“I wish all people could see this place and know it’s possible to live like this when you really put your heart into it. I want everyone I know to come here & experience it!” ~ Daniela, guest from Germany
Please copy, paste & complete the survey below. Send it in an email, along with your letter of interest, resume, & two references. Send to email@example.com. Include in the subject line “Your Name + Garden Manager.” In an effort to save our time & yours, please submit all required information. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
- Your full name, preferred pronoun, birth date, current address, email & phone.
- Have you managed a garden, farm &/or homestead? Please share more.
- Do you have related management experience? Please share.
- Do you have any entrepreneurial background? Please share.
- What experiences, skills & offerings do you bring?
- What are you hoping to get out of this position?
- What are your 5-10 year aspirational goals?
- Do you have any physical limitations?
- How long have you lived in Asheville?
- When would you be able to start?
- How did you hear about us?
- Anything else to add?