Ashevillage Sanctuary is a crabgrass crack house turned Goddess Sanctuary & Eco-Urban Homestead that is dedicated to anchoring the wild & divine feminine on the planet & creating the world we want by putting our beliefs into practice in our own backyard. We are on 1.3 acres with 4 connected properties that include residential homes, community event space, practitioner rooms for the healing arts & an integrated ecological landscape with organic edible & pollinator gardens, water retention systems, natural buildings & more. We border 60 acres of woodland trails & are a few blocks to downtown Asheville, NC.
Our site includes
• 3 naturally renovated houses with earthen plaster + 3 small earthen cottages
• Ecological rainwater catchment ponds & natural habitat landscape
• Beautiful organic, edible & medicinal permaculture gardens
• Beekeeping, composting & mushroom production
• Recycled urbanite patio with wood-fired oven
• Woodland area with ponds & access to trails
Our culture includes
• Women-led, community-inspired gatherings, events & educational opportunities**
• Healing & embodied arts of the mind, heart, soul, spirit & sensual pleasure body
• Social, racial & healing justice, changemakers & movement building
• Ancestral clearing, ceremonial work, human evolution
• Sex positivity, intimacy, eros, relationship building
• Sweet space for queer/trans & people of color
• Ecology, living skills, food as medicine
**While some events are yoni’s only, all genders are welcome.
“We believe in creating the world we want to live in by putting our beliefs into practice in our backyard” ~ from the Sanctuary’s mission statement
[This is a part-time, live-in, unpaid, work-trade Maintenance Manager position; all genders are welcome.] This position includes helping with the upkeep & repairs on our 3 homes; furthering the property’s hardscape, stonework, ponds, trails & homestead systems; beautification, material organization & more. You will work solo, as well as with our director, Garden Manager & an assistant from time to time. Some carpentry skills & your own tools are necessary. The exchange is based on 15 hours per week. You can set your own schedule based on your personal &/or professional needs, however we ask that you keep other commitments balanced with this position, ie: by not working an additional 40 hours elsewhere, as that would create a general state of overwhelm.
“Part of the magic of the Sanctuary is all the extraordinary people who work, volunteer, and pass through this community hub. What an inspiring place!” ~ M.A., advisory council
Roles & Responsibilities
- Landscape: Ensure that all property systems are operating well, ie: stonework, ponds, trails, trellises, etc
- Houses: Maintain repairs on 3 houses & 3 earthen cottages; from fix-it to more involved carpentry projects.
- Beautification: Work with our founder’s aesthetic direction; help upkeep a refined, orderly & beautiful site
- Organization: Create efficient systems; organize & get rid of materials; clear clutter; care for tools & random tasks
- Management: Create project budgets & timelines; work with our small staff team + 1-2 helpers & related admin tasks
“What do I not learn being here!? I am so enlivened and profoundly grateful for this place, the people who I connect with every single day, the spirit of the Sanctuary & the vision that’s behind all of it!” ~ Cory, residential intern 2016
- You care about personal & societal transformation, women’s empowerment & creating a just world for all.
- You are experienced with a working knowledge in systems-thinking, deep ecology & permaculture design.
- You maintain a healthy lifestyle, are practiced in self-care, food as medicine & daily well-being practices.
- You have a background in building/carpentry, property maintenance, basic fix-it, hardscaping & more.
- You are not a pack rat, enjoy de-cluttering & creating & maintaining an orderly work site as you go.
- You are an excellent communicator, work well with a variety of people & can easily delegate tasks.
- You have a keen eye for aesthetics & enjoy noticing & being meticulous with the finer details.
- You are resourceful with budgets, material acquisition & efficiency in completing tasks.
- You have strong organizational & delegation skills & are able to prioritize.
- You are flexible & comfortable working independently & in a team.
- You own a laptop, smart phone, know how to use google docs.
• Be part of a dynamic place whose purpose is to anchor the wild & divine feminine through service, play & love
• Enjoy a balance of personal self care, shared living with a diversity of people & community gatherings
• Live a 10-minute walk to downtown Asheville with access to our bordering 60 acres of wooded trails
• Live in a small, private earthen cottage & share the kitchen, office, commons & bathroom
• Further your knowledge & experience in ecological systems, design & management
• Work with our founder, a master designer of natural systems & beauty
• Engage personal passions &/or a part-time job + 4 weeks off/year
• Gain skills by participating in optional events & workshops
• Receive free passes to some local gatherings & festivals
• Balance your day-to-day with a healthy live/work flow
• Enjoy our organic garden goodies + medicinal herbs
• Receive two bodywork sessions per month
• Free utilities, wifi, laundry & more
• Immerse yourself in your field of passion & put your skills to great use
• Connect with local to global networks of people doing powerful work
• Experience living at a dynamic women’s eco-urban homestead
• Collaborate with our network of experts, authors & teachers
• Develop a beautiful model site that inspires many others
• Help make it happen, aka: be the glue behind the scene
• Connect with people who care about our planet
“I wish all people could see this place and know it’s possible to live like this when you really put your heart into it. I want everyone I know to come here & experience it!” ~ Daniela, guest from Germany
Please copy, paste & complete the survey below. Send it in an email, along with your letter of interest, resume & two references. Send to email@example.com. Include in the subject line “Your Name + Maintenance Manager.” In an effort to save our time & yours, please submit all required information. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
- Your full name, preferred pronoun, birth date, current address, email & phone.
- What is your experience in maintaining a property, home &/or homestead?
- What is your carpentry, building, fix-it, maintenance experience?
- What management experience do you have in these areas?
- What other experience, skills & offerings do you bring?
- What are you hoping to get out of this position?
- What are your 5-10 year aspirational goals?
- Do you have any physical limitations?
- How long have you lived in Asheville?
- Are you able to commit to a year?
- When would you like to start?
- How did you hear about us?
- Anything else to add?
Ashevillage Sanctuary LLC provides equal employment opportunities to all employees & applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics.