Ashevillage Sanctuary is a women-led, community-oriented, 1.3 acre residential permaculture oasis a few blocks from downtown Asheville, NC & bordering 60 acres of woodland trails. Our purpose is to help anchor the wild & divine feminine on the planet in this time. Our values center around creating the world we want to live in by putting our beliefs into practice in our own backyard, working with regenerative systems & living skills, exploring the feminine/masculine spectrum & all manners of authentic & sensual living. Interests revolve around social, ecological & restorative justice; healing & ceremonial arts; human evolution in relationship with Gaia; authentic relating, intimacy, eros; permaculture, resilient living, food as medicine & more. Our site includes 4 connected properties + an integrated living systems landscape + beautiful edible, medicinal & pollinator gardens. We are home to 3 live-in managers, 5 worktraders & 12 other residents.
“We believe in creating the world we want to live in by putting our beliefs into practice in our backyard” ~ from the Sanctuary’s mission statement
[This is a part-time, live-in, work-trade Maintenance Manager position. All genders are welcome.] This position is based on general property maintenance, including: overseeing the upkeep of 3 homes, ie: fixing things, hanging shelves, cleaning gutters; occasional hardscaping, ie: stonework, ponds, trails & homestead projects; material organization, beautification & more. You will work independently, as well as with our director, other managers & an assistant from time to time. Some building/carpentry skills + your own tools will be needed. This exchange is based on 15 hours per week.
“Part of the magic of the Sanctuary is all the extraordinary people who pass through this community hub. What an inspiring place!” ~ M.A., advisory council
Roles & Responsibilities
- Houses: Maintain upkeep on 3 houses, from fix-it to more involved carpentry projects.
- Landscape: Ensure property systems are operating well, ie: trails, stonework, ponds, etc
- Beautification: Work with our founder’s aesthetic direction; help upkeep a beautiful site
- Organization: Create efficient systems; organize materials; clear clutter; take care of tools
- Management: Assess project budgets; work with our small team, handle some admin tasks
“I am so enlivened & profoundly grateful for this place, the people who I connect with every day, the spirit of the Sanctuary & the vision that’s behind all of it!” ~ Cory, worktrader 2016
- You are experienced in building, maintenance & hardscaping
- You care about personal & societal transformation & social justice
- You are experienced in systems-thinking, permaculture & deep ecology
- You enjoy de-cluttering space, cleaing & maintaining an orderly work sit
- You are into healthy living, self care, food as medicine & daily well-being
- You have a keen eye for aesthetics & enjoy fine details & meticulousness
- You are an excellent communicator & work well with a variety of people
- You are resourceful with budgets, material usage & overall efficiency
- You are flexible & comfortable working independently & on a team
- You own a laptop, smart phone, know how to use google docs
- Live at a wild n’ divine feminine Eco-Urban Homestead Goddess Sanctuary
- Receive monthly bodywork sessions, organic garden goodies & the hot tub
- Enjoy in-house community, the larger Asheville scene & oldest mountains
- Retreat to your private earthen cottage + live out of a bigger shared house
- Enjoy 60 acres of bordering woods + the 10-minute walk into downtown
- Engage other passions &/or a part-time job; take 4 weeks off per year
- Gain new skills & knowledge at community events & annual retreats
- Your utilities, wifi, laundry, firewood is included in this exchange
“I wish all people could see this place & know it’s possible to live like this when you really put your heart into it. I want everyone I know to experience it!” ~ Daniela, guest from Germany
Please copy, paste & complete the survey below. Send it in an email, along with your letter of interest, resume & two references. Send to email@example.com. Include in the subject line “Your Name + Maintenance Manager.” In an effort to save our time & yours, please submit all required information. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
- Your full name, preferred pronoun, birth date, current address, email & phone.
- What is your experience in maintaining a property, home &/or homestead?
- What is your carpentry, building, fix-it, maintenance experience?
- What management experience do you have in these areas?
- What other experience, skills & offerings do you bring?
- What are you hoping to get out of this position?
- On a scale of 1 to 10, how clean & tidy are you?
- What are your 5-10 year aspirational goals?
- Do you have any physical limitations?
- Where is your current home base?
- Are you able to commit to a year?
- When would you like to start?
- How did you hear about us?
- Anything else to add?
Ashevillage Sanctuary LLC provides equal employment opportunities to all employees & applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics.