Ashevillage Sanctuary, aka: the Goddess Sanctuary
Ashevillage Sanctuary LLC is: a women-led, community-oriented, privately-owned, 1.3 acre residential permaculture site. We are located a few blocks from the thriving downtown of Asheville, NC and backed by 60 acres of woodland trails.
What we do: Demonstrate integrated ecological living systems in our beautiful edible, medicinal, and pollinator landscape. Grow and ferment food as medicine. Capture and use rainwater. Make herbal medicines. Maintain bee, compost and mushroom systems. Run online and residential internship programs. House our management team. Host a variety of community events, gatherings, private retreats, and other services such as overnights and practitioner rooms. Live in the micro and macro realities of how the personal and planetary are deeply connected.
Our core values & focus: Are centered around creating the world we want to live in by putting our beliefs into practice in our own backyard, working with regenerative systems and living skills, exploring the divine feminine/masculine spectrum and all manners of authentic, intimate and sensual living while contributing toward the creation of a more resilient world. Interests revolve around healing justice, ceremonial arts; evolution of our humanity in relationship with Gaia; authentic relating, intimacy, eros; permaculture, resilient living, food as medicine; what it means to be a changemaker, social and eco justice; and more.
This position begins as soon as possible. This posting will be removed when the position is filled.
“We believe in creating the world we want to live in by putting our beliefs into practice in our backyard” ~ from the Sanctuary’s mission statement
Our Assistant Manager position is a 32-hour per week, year-round, live-in, work-trade (with stipend) position. You must be aligned deeply with our vision and values, and have related skills and experience. You will be immersed in a dynamic and active environment that is both a residential and working demonstration site. In exchange for your work with us, we will provide you with private sleeping quarters and shared living in our guest house, utilities, wifi, laundry, garden sundries, a monthly stipend, and time off. See more Sanctuary pictures and details below. We also have residential and general internship positions in hospitality, online program production, admin and personal assistance, building and infrastructure, communications and outreach, graphics and video.
“Part of the magic of the Sanctuary is all the extraordinary people who work, volunteer, and pass through this community hub. What an inspiring place!” ~ M.A., advisory council
Roles & Responsibilities
As assistant manager, you will work closely with our lead management team, director, and residential interns. You will deepen your understanding in all aspects of what we do, including: site management and maintenance of physical infrastructure, supporting day-to-day operations and organization, helping with events, programs, planning and hospitality, engaging with our members, visitors, and community at large. Together, we play off each others’ strengths, skills, and assets. Flexibility, mutual support, and teamwork are helpful throughout.
You will assist with the site, garden, hospitality, intern oversight & other tasks. You must have some supportive experience to offer in the following:
Site, Gardens & Property Maintenance
• Organize & beautify the site
• Mulch & weed beds & paths
• Plant, tend, harvest perennials & annuals
• Lend a hand in basic property maintenance
• Support interns to stay on track with their tasks
Food & Plants As Medicine
• Organize our herbal product line
• Harvest & process herbs & food into medicine
• Help develop & implement outreach & sales
• Oversee bottling, labeling, storing & research
Other tasks vary, including:
• Help coordinate work traders & interns
• Support hospitality & community events
• Tend the home & hearth space — keep it clean & tidy
• Assist our managers + director with various tasks throughout
“What do I not learn being here!? I am so enlivened and profoundly grateful for this place, the people who I connect with every single day, the spirit of the Sanctuary & the vision that’s behind all of it!” ~ Cory, residential intern 2016
• You align with our mission, vision & goals
• You are experienced & skilled for this job
• You are enthusiastic, flexible & self-motivated
• You are at ease working with a variety of people
• You thrive on excellent communication & connection
• You have a meticulous eye for detail & a job well-done
• You love to initiate, organize & create efficient systems
• You are happy to work under, for & with strong women
• You bring a positive energy & outlook to all that you do
• You are physically fit, able to lift 50 lbs & work long hours
• You are experienced in permaculture, herbalism, gardening, outreach & hospitality
For your 32 hours per week commitment, you will receive:
• Be part of a dynamic place that is in service to the divine feminine through work, play, presence, vision & love
• Enjoy your own private living space while sharing a common kitchen, office, living room, bathroom & hot tub!
• Live a short walk to downtown Asheville in a gorgeous, natural place that integrates work/life flow
• Increase your knowledge in herbalism, gardening, site management, women’s sexuality & more
• Collaborate with a circle of supportive sisters in community
• Work with & delegate among a close-knit team of interns
• Receive a small monthly stipend + bodywork sessions
• Enjoy organic garden goodies + herbal products
• Free utilities, wifi, laundry & more
• Four weeks off per year
• Immerse yourself in your field of passion & put your skills to great use
• Connect with local to global networks of people doing powerful work
• Experience living at a dynamic women’s eco-urban homestead
• Collaborate with our network of experts, authors & teachers
• Develop a beautiful model site that inspires many others
• Connect with people who care about our planet & people
• Help make it happen, aka: be the glue behind the scene
“I wish all people could see this place and know it’s possible to live like this when you really put your heart into it. I want everyone I know to come here & experience it!” ~ Daniela, guest from Germany
Please copy, paste and complete the application below. Include it in an email with: 1) a letter of interest, 2) your resume, and 3) two professional references. Send to email@example.com. Include in the subject line “Your Name + Assistant Manager Application.” Please submit all required information or your application will not be considered.
1. Your name, birth date, email, address, phone number & skype.
2. Are you available to start ASAP & work the full year in 2017?
3. What related skills & experience do you bring to this position?
4. What do you consider to be your greatest working attributes?
5. What are you hoping to give & get from working with us?
6. Do you have any health conditions that would impede your work?
7. Are you able to afford working with us based on a small stipend?
8. Provide three times you are available for an interview after 11am.
9. Is there anything else that you would like to add?
10. How did you hear about us?
Programs & Outreach Manager