Ashevillage Sanctuary is a women-led, community-oriented, 1.3 acre residential permaculture oasis a few blocks from downtown Asheville, NC & bordering 60 acres of woodland trails. Our purpose is to help anchor the wild & divine feminine on the planet in this time. Our values center around creating the world we want to live in by putting our beliefs into practice in our own backyard, working with regenerative systems & living skills, exploring the feminine/masculine spectrum & all manners of authentic & sensual living. Interests revolve around social, ecological & restorative justice; healing & ceremonial arts; human evolution in relationship with Gaia; authentic relating, intimacy, eros; permaculture, resilient living, food as medicine & more. Our site includes 4 connected properties + an integrated living systems landscape + beautiful edible, medicinal & pollinator gardens. We are home to 3 live-in managers, 5 worktraders & 12 other residents.
“We believe in creating the world we want to live in by putting our beliefs into practice in our backyard” ~ from the Sanctuary’s mission statement
[This is a part-time, live-in, unpaid, work-trade position] Ashevillage’s Sanctuary Manager will guide the smooth running flow of the Sanctuary while utilizing already existing systems & supporting our director, co-managers, worktraders, practitioners & visitors. Oversight of sanctuary rentals, operations & relations will be yours to hold. You will be expected to work 15 hours per week based on your own scheduling needs. Please note: While there’s always room for more, operating systems are in place & keeping things simple is a goal. Please note: Our ideal bad ass sanctuary mama would feel at home in a culture of progressive, black & brown friendly (BLM!), queer & trans lovin’, women-led, sex positive awesomeness. This posting will be removed when the position is filled. This position begins as soon as possible.
“Our visions begin with our desires” ~ Audre Lorde
Roles & Responsibilities
- Residential harmony: Ensure rooms are rented & that rent is paid on time; oversee outreach, interviews & orientation for residents & worktraders; facilitate household harmony by helping people feel held; troubleshoot issues; be the glue behind the scene
- Operations: Oversee bookkeeping, emails & admin tasks; ensure the monthly budget is met; work closely with 2 worktraders, 2 co-managers, our director & residents; keep details, systems & supplies flowing
- Household beautification: Oversee delegation & follow through on chores so that the houses are well tended; help beautify & refine overall sanctuary flow
“What do I not learn being here!? I am so enlivened & profoundly grateful for this place, the people who I connect with every single day, the spirit of the Sanctuary & the vision that’s behind all of it!” ~ Cory Blair, 2016
- You are skilled in hospitality, administration, household management, non-violent communication, task-mastering (sewing & energy work of some kind would be a bonus); you have managed a project or job of comparable scale & have adeptly honed skills.
- You have a Type-A personality when it comes to communications, management, organization & delegation, all while creating an uplifting environment; you are resourceful with budgets; and can assess effective & efficient ways to complete tasks.
- You have experience &/or strong interest in systems thinking, deep ecology, community life, personal & cultural transformation, human evolution, social justice, sex positivity, permaculture, food as medicine, and creating a just & thriving world.
- You know how to use quickbooks, google docs, spreadsheets, social media, and you own a laptop & smart phone.
- You have a refined eye for aesthetics & meticulous detail; overseeing physical space comes naturally
- Live at a wild n’ divine feminine Eco-Urban Homestead Goddess Sanctuary
- Receive monthly bodywork sessions, organic garden goodies & the hot tub
- Enjoy in-house community, the larger Asheville scene & oldest mountains
- Retreat to your private earthen cottage + live out of a bigger shared house
- Enjoy 60 acres of bordering woods + the 10-minute walk into downtown
- Engage other passions &/or a part-time job; take 4 weeks off per year
- Gain new skills & knowledge at community events & annual retreats
- Your utilities, wifi, laundry, firewood is included in this exchange
“I wish all people could see this place & know it’s possible to live like this when you really put your heart into it. I want everyone I know to come here & experience it!” ~ Daniela, guest from Germany
Please copy, paste & complete the survey below. Send it in an email, along with your letter of interest, resume & two references. Send to firstname.lastname@example.org. Include in the subject line “Your Name + Sanctuary Manager.” In an effort to save our time & yours, please submit all required information. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
- Full name, preferred pronoun, birth date, address, email & phone.
- Have you managed a project like this before? Please share more.
- Do you have any entrepreneurial background? Please share.
- What experiences, skills & offerings do you bring?
- What are you hoping to get out of this position?
- On a scale of 1 to 10, how clean & tidy are you?
- What are your 5-10 year aspirational goals?
- Smoke, toke, or drink? If so, how much?
- Do you have any physical limitations?
- Where is your current home base?
- Are you able to commit to a year?
- When would you like to start?
- How did you hear about us?
- Anything else to add?