About the Sanctuary
The dream. Ashevillage Sanctuary LLC started in 2006 with one property. The dream: Create an example of beautiful, resilient, soulful living. Something that evokes peace. A sense of belonging. In our own backyard. Inspiring others to do the same. Rainwater catchment. Edible gardens. Pollinator & wildlife habitat. Community space. A retreat for artists, healers, change-makers, visionaries. An opportunity to connect with the earth. Among the hustle & bustle. A modern indigenous model. Smack dab in the center of urban space. Where the majority of our human family lives. Ways to return. To nature. Our own nature.
Fast forward 10 years. Our dream has come alive! With the hands & hearts of hundreds of helpers. With the hard work of our team. With the persnickety persistence of our founder. And a vision that is greater than any one of us. That has kept us going all these years. We are quite pleased with what has become of this place. An homage. To the essence in all who pass through. To our local & world community. To all who helped make the Sanctuary what it is today. And most especially to the web of life that makes up this one small blink in the intricate folds of our complex existence.
A little her’story. Back in 2006, our founder & Sanctuary owner, Janell Kapoor, was deeply engaged in the worldwide natural building & permaculture movement. That’s when she purchased the first property & got right to work. From Wild food & fermentation to beekeeping. Rainwater catchment to natural building. Permaculture Design Courses to internships. She & her team worked with many teachers. And thousands of students. From local to international. From here, the Sanctuary began its path to what it is today. The landscape slowly took shape. The terraces & soil were built. 10 years later, the gardens are lush as ever. The homes complete. The birds singing. What was one property has become four! What was originally a crack house & junkyard has become an exquisite hand-crafted homestead paradise…
Bringing us to now. Over a decade, the focus has evolved. The relationship with the land has grown. The Spirit of the Sanctuary has come alive. She (yes, she) has guided us to deepen our understanding of the soul purpose of the place. Nestled in the oldest mountains on the planet. We listen. And we learn. With her. There is a very clear call now. To focus on anchoring the divine feminine on the planet. And although we honor the full spectrum of the sacred feminine~masculine that we all embody (& even within our own resistance to the binary impact of words such as ‘feminine’ & ‘masculine’), sometimes you just need to heed the call of spirit. And listen to what is being asked. The Sanctuary’s spirit is clearly guiding us. She is very clear. Calling her women to her. And so we have arrived. And we invite you to arrive, too. See below for all the ways you can participate with us here. Btw: We are by no means gender exclusive. We honor all genders!
Speaking in more direct terms. We are currently home to roughly 9 residents + 3 interns + several healing artists + community events. The physical infrastructure of the Sanctuary is shared below. As mentioned above, our mission focuses on anchoring the divine feminine on the planet, particularly though the earthy & erotic arts, women’s sexuality & liberation, ancestral healing & the like. We don’t necessarily share all that we do publicly. After all, women are meant to have some secrets, right?! Ah, so much for directness! 😉
The site, gardens & team
• Our 2 charming homes have tons of light, clay paint & plaster & built-in niches throughout
• Open floor design with common spaces, practitioner rooms, kitchens & a shared office
• Extensive edible & pollinator gardens with large stone courtyard & terraces
• A protected bordering 60 acres of woodland trails, trees & wildlife
• Unique earthen outbuildings with beautiful detail work
• A naturally-treated hot tub to enjoy under the stars
• Residential interns who help tend the site 24/7
• Our 4 managers who keep it all together!
I am blown away seeing how this place has transformed. I was here in the early days & feel like I’ve just walked into paradise. I can’t believe how it’s shifted. Seeing the gardens made me cry! ~ Charlotte Smith
It takes a village to BE a village. Participation comes in many forms. What speaks to you? Whatever it is, we welcome you to find out more & get involved!
- Residency: Live with us at the Sanctuary. Please find details here & be in touch.
- Residential internships: Live, learn and grow with us for a season. Find out more.
- Visit: Come for a visit & stay at the Sanctuary. Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Local internships: For locals! Gardening, social media, admin & more. Find out more.
- Worktrades: 5-night minimum in exchange for staying at the Sanctuary. Find out more.
- Volunteer: Come join us & help out in the gardens for a few hours or days. Find out more.
- Programs: Gain real life skills through our affiliated program opportunities and discounts.
- Support Us: Your financial support is welcome! From modest to eye-popping. Contact us.
Imagine if all people cared for their land, every neighborhood connected their properties, created wildlife habitat with rainwater ponds, grew pollinator gardens, shared food… ~ Janell Kapoor