Ashevillage Sanctuary provides both live-in worktrade & residential internship opportunities. This page is dedicated to our worktrade options. But first, a note on the difference between the two options >> Worktrades are for folks who intend to be with us for 1 to 8 weeks. Worktrade opportunities are ongoing (rolling admission) & while they may be enriching for you, they are designed as more of a one-time exchange vs. as an entire program. Residential Internships, on the other hand, are for those who want to live, learn & grow with us for an entire 6-month season. Because of the level of commitment our interns make, they become part of our core operating team & we work together at a deeper level with closer attention given to their personal interests & growth.
Current options: Ongoing worktrade opportunities are available. We also still have 1 spot in our current 6-month residential internship, which goes until December 21st & another spot is available in the one that begins on January 7th, 2018. Note: If you already live in Asheville & would like to get involved, please visit these pages to volunteer, or to do a local part-time internship with us. We look forward to hearing from you!
We will provide:
• A beautiful environment to live in & an inspiring women-led team to work with
• An orientation to our Sanctuary, as well as guidance on weekly chores & projects
• A place to set up your tent; a rustic kitchen & cooler with ice packs to store food
• In-season organic herbs, greens & other goodies from our gardens, as available
• Learning moments in topics such as organic gardening, herbalism & well-being
• Ways to be involved in community at the Sanctuary & in Asheville in general
• Access to our naturally-treated hot tub, wifi, washer, dryer, shower, parking
You will provide:
• $50 per week + 21 hours of work projects per week. See exceptions below***
• An ability to work alone or with a group & to ask questions as needed
• A positive attitude, timeliness, work ethic & good communication
• Cash for personal spending & for covering additional food costs
• Your own work gloves, garden clippers, water bottle & sun hat
• Your own camping gear + bedding, plate, bowl, cup & utensils
To apply for a worktrade position, please rate the options from the list below in the order of your greatest interest & follow the steps in the ‘Apply’ section below. Note: We will aim for you to mainly work in your areas of interest, however you may be asked to help in other areas, as needed.
- Landscaping: Upkeep paths, terraces, stonework, water systems, etc. Experience helps.
- Maintenance: Help with site tasks, such as painting & light carpentry. Experience helps.
- Gardening: Work in the gardens. Previous gardening or farming experience is necessary.
- Cleaning: Assist with house cleaning, laundry, organizing & more. Eye for detail is helpful.
- Personal assistance: Assist managers with errands & tasks. Organizational skills a must.
- Harvest & food: Help harvest & process food & herbs. Previous experience is helpful.
***Other: If you do bodywork, photography, videography, carpentry — we can discuss making an arrangement.
Please only apply if you are accustom to keeping a clean & tidy space. We really don’t have room for messy folks! We are looking for worktraders who are positive, good communicators, hard workers, already have some skills in the topics above, aren’t bringing a bunch of baggage (both metaphorically & literally), have read & are aligned with our mission & purpose….and will meld well with our beautiful home-sweet-home Sanctuary! You must be able to provide $50 per week + 21 hours of work per week. Please note that your work schedule can be designed to accommodate your particular needs, as long as you are able to fulfill 21 hours per week.
Two step application:
- Fill out & submit the survey below.
- Email a LOI (letter of interest), resume & 2 professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org. Include in the subject line, “Your Name: Worktrade Application.”