Worktrade at Ashevillage Sanctuary
Ashevillage Sanctuary LLC, once a dilapidated junkyard & crack house, has been transformed into an Eco-Urban Homestead Goddess Sanctuary. We are dedicated to anchoring the wild & divine feminine on the planet & creating the world we want to live in by putting our beliefs into practice in our own backyard. We are on 1.3 privately-owned acres with 4 connected properties that include residential homes, community commons, a healing room & an integrated ecological landscape with organic edible & pollinator gardens, water retention ponds & more. We border 60 acres of woodland trails & are a few blocks to downtown Asheville, NC.
If you are interested in: being an integral part of a women-led, team-oriented, live-work space; connecting with a close-knit, yet spacious community; exploring voluntary simplicity while living in balance with the earth & modernity; and intermingling with other resonant souls….then Ashevillage Sanctuary is worth checking out.
The basic exchange is for a place to camp with amenities for 15 hours of work per week. Our main ‘crew’ days are Monday-Wednesday, although we can flex some if/as needed. We like to keep work hours between 9am-5pm & value our off/non-work/home time while living & working in the same place. Necessary tasks, such as watering seedlings, or closing the hoop house door are expected on all days, but don’t take too much time, and those tasks can be shared/rotated, so they don’t fall on any one person. A six-month commitment is required; longer is optional if we are a mutual ‘hell yes’. You will have two weeks off during your six months. Otherwise, you are expected to keep your own hours & ensure they are balanced by the end of each month.
Worktraders help on priority projects of the season across a spectrum of tasks. This may include gardening, carpentry, painting, cleaning, sorting & assisting with other basic needs. If someone is highly skilled as a seamstress, or carpenter, or herbalist, they may end up focusing on that particular area if there’s a need. In general, we aim to work with each worktrader’s greatest gifts, while sharing overall responsibilities. Flexibility around team work &/or solo work is appreciated based on what the particular day (or individual) calls for. We co-create a flow that feels good to the whole. The skills/interests needed are listed below. We are also open to someone who does bodywork*, and usually have one dedicated position for just this…
- Building: Build small to medium projects; from shelves to decks to trim; bring tools if you have them.
- Site: Help to beautify & maintain the site’s trails, landscape, material flow, and a clean, tidy, kept site.
- Gardening: Water the gardens & help with tasks, such as weeding, planting, harvesting, processing.
- Cleaning: Assist with house organizing, cleaning, laundry, sorting & more. Eye for detail is helpful.
- Fix-It: Help with basic maintenance, carpentry, painting, sewing, stonework & other such projects.
- Administration: Assist with emails, websites, random errands & tasks. Organizational savvy helps.
- *Bodywork: Provide 6 hours of bodywork/week for managers, worktraders, residents & supporters.
“I love what you’re doing here. It is the future, if we are to have a future, this is what the it must look like. And you do it with such love & devotion & grace & humor. You’re just great! Thank you.” ~ Bonnie
• Inspiring women-led eco-urban homestead & goddess sanctuary
• Seasonal organic herbs, greens & other goodies from our garden
• A beautiful outdoor tenting area surrounded by gardens & woods
• A naturally-treated hot tub, wifi, washer, dryer, shower, parking
• Shared commons, a rustic outdoor kitchen & food storage space
• Option to participate in community events & gatherings
• A supportive, caring community of awesome women!
• Positive attitude, timeliness, self-initiative & good communication
• An established practice in cleanliness; messiness is a deal breaker
• Mindfulness in sharing space with others; sharing basic chores
• Your own camping gear, bedding, plate, bowl, cup & utensils
• Depending on your role, you may need to bring some tools
• A commitment of 6 months minimum; more is welcome
To apply, please read these points & if it’s still a good fit, follow the steps in the ‘Apply’ section below.
• Purpose: You have read & are aligned with our purpose.
• Home: You believe you will meld well with our beautiful home-sweet-home Sanctuary.
• Cleanliness: Please only apply if you are accustom to keeping clean & tidy space. We don’t have room for messy folks!
• Ease: We are looking for worktraders who are positive, good communicators, hard workers & bring the skills we need vs. a bunch of baggage (metaphorically or literally).
• Schedule: Work within the Monday-Wednesday general timeframe, along with some flex time. Please track your own hours & keep us updated if you plan to be gone for a stretch of time. Please let us know when you would like to take your weeks off.
• Security deposit: To secure your position as a resident worktrader, a $300 deposit will be due to reserve your spot. The $300 will be returned to you upon completion of your worktrade commitment. Please carefully consider if you are in a position to commit to living & working with us for a minimum of six months. We thank you in advance!
• Availability: Your schedule must allow for you to fulfill your worktrade hours for the months that you are with us. It is very helpful for all involved not to waste time making an arrangement if you are not certain that you can follow through. If you will be looking for (or would even considering accepting) a full-time job, we respectfully ask that you not apply, as we have found that this prevents people from fulfilling their worktrade in an easeful way.
“I wanted to thank you for opening your home & sanctuary to me. It was a pleasure to meet you & everyone else who is part of the community. You are an amazing & inspiring group! I am grateful for the time I was able to spend in your company. Best wishes!” ~ Jayce Brie
When you fill out this form, it will not save on your end, so you will want to complete it in one fell swoop, or you might lose it partway through.